Monday, January 15, 2007

Trojan Candidate

When I read stuff like this, I get a little confused about what the liberal position on Mitt Romney ought to be. I mean, what's the sense in trying to sabotage his primary campaign, exactly? I know he's making lots of shameless dashes to conservative safe-ground on a multitude of issues, but what's the evidence as to where his genuine beliefs lie? If there's some reason to believe he's significantly more liberal than he wants everybody in the GOP to believe, that seems like an awfully good reason to root for him, right? I know, too many questions.

But in all seriousness, the other contenders aren't really any better on the merits than Romney, as far as I can tell, except maybe Giuliani. The one thing you can say for Romney's conservatism is that it's inconsistent, but from my point of view that's a virtue. Why not let the GOP buy into his conversion and field a candidate who might - might - be more liberal than they expect?

I mean, sure, I'd love to see them field Ron Paul so that we could steamroll them in the general election, but if they're going to nominate a plausible candidate, it might as well be one who's espoused all sorts of leftist views in the past.

No comments: